Equipment Accommodation Fund
UBC’s Okanagan campus Guidelines
The purpose of the Equipment Accommodation Fund (EAF) is to support the University in achieving its employment equity and duty to accommodate goals. The Fund will be used to cover extraordinary costs associated with specialized adaptive supplies and equipment that facilitate the recruitment and retention of employees with disabilities, and accommodate employees with disabilities whose ability to perform the duties of their position may be affected.
Employees requiring accommodation for disabilities should communicate a fund request to their supervisor. It is expected that departments will handle small or relatively routine accommodations internally. In cases where there are extraordinary costs associated with specialized adaptive supplies and equipment, fund applicants should submit supportive medical documentation to the Work Re-Integration and Accommodation (WRAP) program.
The fund applicant is required to outline their request in writing to the WRAP program and include a clear disability-related rationale for the specific equipment or supplies that are required including:
- The nature of the applicant's medical condition or disability and how it affects their ability to perform the duties of their position
- An explanation of how the requested equipment will assist the applicant to function in their position
- Detailed product information per item requested, including current cost quote
- Alternate accommodation solutions, if possible or applicable
- Note that with the applicant's informed and express consent, the Department of Human Resources may request additional supportive information from the treatment provider including medical or relevant health professional documentation with regard to the accommodation request
Once reviewed, the request for funds will be communicated to the Associate Vice President (AVP) Equity, accompanied by an opinion from the WRAP program to whether the funding request for adaptive equipment fits within the intended scope of the EAF.
Decisions regarding fund allocation will be made by the AVP Inclusion and Equity, who may seek additional advice.
Where possible, funds should be used to match departmental or faculty funds.
In every case where funds are used to purchase equipment, it is to be understood that the equipment is University property and may be taken off campus only for purposes of conducting University business. In addition, the equipment returns to the University when the employee no longer requires the equipment or leaves the University's employ.
A request for funds to repair or replace equipment and supplies should be accompanied by the same endorsements and written documentation as an initial request for funds.
In cases where funds are used to provide adaptive supplies and equipment for an employee, that staff or faculty member will be identified on the UBC employment equity census as having a disability.
The amount of funds and guidelines for their disbursement will be reviewed annually.
Please contact Carleigh Benoit, WRAP Manager at 250.807.9543 or firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Last reviewed 6/21/2017 11:50:14 AM