Positions for Full-time and Part-time temporary Clinical assistants
Faculty of Health & Social Development
Department: School of Nursing
Position: Temporary Clinical Assistants
Employment Group: Management & Professional (AAPS Level B)
Full-time Salary: $70,875 – $85,084 – $102,101
The School of Nursing is continuously seeking temporary part-time and full-time Clinical Assistants for clinical teaching appointments of 1 month, 4 month, 8 month, or 12 months
The incumbent will practice supervision of nursing students in the clinical and laboratory setting. They will work within a team of others who are teaching at the same level in the program and attend planning and monthly meetings with the team to review and discuss expectations and progress of students. The successful candidate will participate in review labs and initiate/maintain contact where assigned and orients self to the setting as per Interior Health Policy and the School of Nursing expectations. Collaborate as necessary to ensure that the student experience addresses the goals. This position consults with Team Leader and Associate Director when student performance is of concern.
The UBC Bachelor of Science in Nursing prepares graduates to practice nursing within a variety of contexts and with diverse client populations.
- Be present during the entire student practice time and supervise students throughout their time in the agency by:
- Maintaining a daily anecdotal record of each student’s performance and providing feedback as outlined in the policy.
- Engaging student journal dialogue.
- Grading and providing feedback on practice-related written assignments.
- Completing the student evaluation process at the end of term.
- Participating in Review Labs during and at the end of the practice term.
- Scheduling specific practice learning experiences for assigned students.
- Preparing patient assignments and informing students of their assignments according to the course expectations.
- Attending grade appeals even if these appeals take place following contract completion.
- Provides feedback to the team regarding the practice environment by:
- Mentoring new practice teachers at the beginning of the term and providing feedback at the end of the term.
- Initiating contact with the agency where assigned and orienting the unit as per Interior Health and school expectations.
- Collaborating as necessary with the agency personnel to ensure that the student experience addresses the goals.
- Provides other related administrative support by:
- Entering voicemail messages on the assigned UBC telephone and regularly retrieving messages
- Submitting mileage and parking reimbursement claims on a monthly basis.
- Attending planning meetings as scheduled and participating in minute-taking on a rotational basis.
Consequence of Error:
Offer formative as well as summative evaluative feedback verbally, through the written journal, and in the form of written evaluation. Seek guidance regarding student performance concerns only from the Team Leader or the Associate Director and collaborate with them to provide the student with them to provide the student with feedback and options for profess in the program.
Initially, mentorship will be provided by an experienced faculty member. The Team Leader is available for consultation at any time. The Associate Director is also available for consultation regarding policy and its application as well as regarding student performance and the provision of feedback.
The incumbent will practice supervision of nursing student sin the clinical and laboratory setting.
Research Nurses require R.N. Certificate. Clinical Associates require Undergraduate degree in Nursing, Nursing Licensure in BC, RN Certificate. Nursing Licensure in British Columbia Nurse Practitioner Clinical Associates requires post-graduate degree in Nursing and Research Nurses require 3 years of nursing and administrative experience. Clinical Associates require at least 2 years of related clinical work experience. Nurse Practitioner Clinical Associates require 2 years of primary care Nurse Practitioner experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please note for any position over 12 months, please visit our Staff Careers website at www.ubc.ca/okanagan/hr/careers/staff.
If you meet the qualifications and requirements outlined above, please submit your application by mail or email to:
Lisa Moralejo, RN, MN, Associate Professor of Teaching
Acting Associate Director, School of Nursing
Office: ART 339, Phone: 250-807-9956
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and other with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities. Government regulations require that Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.