New Employee Buddy Program
What is the Buddy Program?
The Buddy Program is an important component of the onboarding process for new employees. The program is designed to help new employees successfully build connections with colleagues and their jobs, while recognizing that employee retention is facilitated when employees feel valued, and are in positions where they have a personal connection to their workplace.
• Provide a department-specific welcome to the new employees
• Provide a ‘high touch’ resource for the new employees
• Enhance the connection and minimize the isolation for new employees
• Enable new employees to adjust to their jobs and work environment and to instill a positive work attitude and motivation at the onset
• Provide ‘just-in-time’ answers on what the new hire can expect from their work environment While a Buddy is a vital resource for the new employee, s/he does not replace the important role the Supervisor plays in orienting his/her new employee.
• Buddy: A knowledgeable and friendly colleague
• Supervisor: The person in the department responsible for ensuring that employee orientation is completed in a timely manner
• New employee: An individual who is new to UBC Okanagan and/or the department
Buddy Program Coordinator: Lisa Frost, 250-807-9021, firstname.lastname@example.org