Purpose of the Faculty Mentoring Program
The Faculty Mentoring Program is offered to assist new Faculty members in acclimatizing to their academic roles at UBC’s Okanagan campus, and to offer a climate of support for learning, scholarship and excellence. This program is not meant to replace the orientation and guidance provided by Heads and operates in a complementary manner to established processes in Faculties.
1. To assist Faculty in acclimatizing to their academic roles and to offer a climate of support for learning, scholarship and excellence. Therefore, the program will aim to:
- provide guidance and role modeling
- share experiences to facilitate learning
- clarify academic structures and processes
- discuss professional goals and provide encouragement for goal setting and action planning around role responsibilities: establishment of a program of research/scholarly activity, teaching effectiveness, service and educational leadership according to rank.
2. To orient and welcome the faculty into the UBC’s Okanagan campus learning community, the culture, and professional life at the university. Accordingly, the program will aim to:
- provide an early point of connection and a friendly resource
- build collegiality, introduce the individual to relevant network/s in both the internal and external communities
- help the individual to understand “unwritten rules” as well as the formal rules & processes
- answer questions in a context of safety
3. To enhance the success, recruitment and retention of faculty.
- facilitate success and connection during an individual’s first year at UBC Okanagan
- facilitate continued success and connection throughout all stages in faculty careers