Ending Student Appointments


If a student resigns prior to the end of their appointment, submit an on-line form (Epaf) to Payroll along with a copy of the student’s resignation letter. It is good practice to put a copy of the student’s resignation into his/her employee file.


Student workers require notice in accordance with the BC Employment Standards Act.  If you need to end a student’s appointment, please contact UBC Okanagan HR for assistance. A Transfer & Severance form needs to be submitted in order to end a student appointment regardless of which party initiates the separation.

For students in unionized positions, contact your HR Okanagan Advisor.

T4s & T4As

Students who are in student research positions (GRAs) that are a direct benefit to their studies do not pay into the Canada Pension Plan or Employment Insurance and will receive T4As.  This means that these students cannot apply for Employment Insurance.

Students who are in non-research positions or research positions that are not a direct benefit to their studies (for example GAAs doing research in a field outside of their studies that are beneficial for a PI but not themselves) pay into Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance and will receive T4s.  This means these students can apply for EI.

Copies of T4s/T4As are available online via a student’s self-service portal if a student elects to receive his/her T4/T4A via this method.  Otherwise, Payroll will send a student’s T4/T4A to his/her address on file per the information in HRMS.  Students should update their address via their self-service portal to ensure the address Payroll has on file is accurate.