BCGEU Okanagan Support Staff
Professional Development Funds
The intent of the BCGEU Okanagan Professional Development Funds is to encourage and support employees to access learning activities that will enhance current job performance as well as to support skill development that may open up other career opportunities for transfer and promotion throughout the University.
There are two (2) Professional Development Funds available to eligible BCGEU employees:
- BCGEU Support Staff General Professional Development Fund, and
- BCGEU Support Staff Enhanced Professional Development Fund
Please see below for a description of use for each of these funds.
For both of these funds, applications are approved on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to the availability of the overall budgeted funding for the fiscal year. Receiving Pre-Approval for your PD courses/activity is required before funding is approved and released (see below steps for Pre-Approval Process).
The budgeted funds are replenished at the beginning of each fiscal year. ie April 1
Employees may apply to both funds dependent on their PD activity. Approval from one fund does not guarantee approval from the other fund.
Both the General PD Fund and the Enhanced PD Fund are administered through their own Terms of Reference. These terms outline the criteria for eligibility, application, eligible/ineligible expenses and other instructions and important information. Please review the Terms of Reference to understand the criteria and requirements involved.
The BCGEU Support Staff PD Development Funds Do Not Pay For:
- Employees attending a course or program at the sole request of their supervisor
- Training needed to meet the minimum requirements for the current position held by the employee.
- UBC courses or programs that are eligible for Tuition Waiver – see link to Tuition Waiver information https://hr.ubc.ca/benefits/benefit-plan-details/tuition-waivers
- Other ineligible expenses as outlined in the Terms of Reference for each fund. Please review the Terms of Reference to better understand eligible and ineligible expenses.
Status of PD Funding Budgets
- We are currently operating under the 2021-2022 (April 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022) Fiscal Year.
- Funding is currently available in both funds and applications are currently being accepted for this current fiscal year.
- PD Expenses must be reimbursed (submitted to Workday) in the same fiscal year in which they were purchased. Approval and reimbursement for PD Activities purchased in a previous fiscal year will not be considered.
- Expenses for the 2021/2022 fiscal year must be submitted to Workday no later than March 4, 2022.
Description and Use for Each of the Funds
General PD Funding is funding for courses that are part of a certificate, diploma, or degree program, individual courses, seminars, workshops, and conferences including web-based learning as well as registration and membership fees and learning materials. The General PD funds do not fund Master’s degree programs.
- Review the General PD Funds Terms of Reference for additional information, funding criteria, and eligible and non-eligible expenses.
Enhanced PD Funding is funding is directly related to academic pursuits at any degree, diploma, or certificate granting post-secondary institution.
- Review the Enhanced PD Funds Terms of Reference for additional information, funding criteria, and eligible and non-eligible expenses.
- Applications for Enhanced PD funding accepted year-round or ongoing.
- Important to Note – ongoing approval for Enhanced PD Funding requires proof (documentation) that confirms completion of courses from previous funding requests.
Leave of Absence from your position to attend staff development functions may be taken only at a time that is mutually agreeable between the employee and your supervisor/manager. Should you require time away from work to attend a Professional Development function, agreement from your supervisor/manager is required in advance of purchasing the Professional Development activity.
Eligible Amount for Each Fund (based on the availability of funds):
- Regular employees who have passed their probationary period (910 hours) are eligible to apply for up to $1500.00 under each of the PD Funds
- Auxiliary employees who have passed their probationary period (910 hours) are eligible to apply for up to $750.00 under each of the PD Funds.
All PD Fund requests must include an application form, relevant documents and be reviewed and pre-approved by the Joint BCGEU PD Committee before any PD funding is released.
Joint BCGEU PD Committee Members:
Steps to Complete the PD Fund Pre-Approval Process
Eligible employees can apply up to four (4) months in advance of the course/activity.
Please review the Terms of Reference for the applicable PD fund before sending in your application.
- Choose your source of PD funding based on the type of program or activity that you are participating in and the description of use of each fund. Reminder – the Enhanced PD Fund only has 2 application intake dates.
- Complete either the General PD Funding or the Enhanced PD Funding application form.
- Submit the Pre-Approval application form and include the following additional documents:
- Print screen from the website or other supporting document that describes the program/course or activity
- Print screen from the website or receipt for payment that clearly identifies the cost of activity requested.
- A written statement explaining how the professional development activity will enhance your current position or support future career development at the University (no more than a paragraph is needed).
- If applicable – For ongoing courses/programs include documentation that demonstrates completion of earlier courses that have been funded through previous BCGEU Fund requests.
Application packages must include all documents in order to be submitted to the Committee for review. Incomplete applications will be returned and may not be reconsidered by the Committee until the following month.
- Email your application form and supporting documents to both:
Applications for funding should be sent no later than the 2nd Friday of each month to be reviewed at the following weeks’ meeting.
The BCGEU PD Fund Committee typically meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month to review applications.
Once the BCGEU PD Fund committee has reviewed your pre-approval application; Kerry Ann Kozak will contact you to advise of the outcome of your application and provide the next steps.
PD Fund Expense Reimbursement Process
Once you have received pre-approval from the BCGEU PD Fund Committee and you have purchased your PD activity, you can upload your expense claim for reimbursement through the Workday system.
Please include copies of actual receipts for your purchase in your upload to Workday. Only expenses that have a corresponding receipt for the expense or proof of payment will be reimbursed.
Please Note: For courses that are a continuation of a registered program – funding will be reimbursed upon proof that the previous course in that program has been completed.
Below is a link to the Job Aids that will show you how to upload your expense into Workday for the appropriate reimbursement:
- If you have personally paid for your PD expense (out of pocket) or used your own department credit card, use the following Job Aid:
- How do I claim out of pocket or credit card expenses against PD Funds?
- If your department has paid for your PD expense on a department credit care (that is not your own department credit card) use the following Job Aid:
- How do I transfer PD Funds reimbursement to my department?
PD Expenses must be reimbursed (submitted to Workday) in the same fiscal year in which they were purchased. Approval and reimbursement for PD Activities purchased in a previous fiscal year will not be considered.
Expenses must be submitted through Workday within 6 months prior to or after your PD Activity purchase date and before March 4, 2022.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS
Should you have questions or require additional information about the application process or the status of your application, please contact either Kerry Ann Kozak, BCGEU PD Funds Coordinator, or Terri Jones, BCGEU PD Funds Chairperson.
Should you have questions about Workday – please follow this link: https://isc.ubc.ca/ to search the Workday knowledge base, submit a Workday ticket, connect with a Learning Rover or speak with a Workday representative.